Cabinet Secretary held high level review on Novel Coronavirus
All travellers from China since 15 Jan 2020 shall be tested for nCoV
High level review meetings on preparedness for Novel Coronavirus are regularly being held by the Union Health Minister, Cabinet Secretary and Health Secretary.
Cabinet Secretary has held four review meetings so far. Today he reviewed the preparedness with the concerned Ministries of Health & Family Welfare, External Affairs, Defence, Home Affairs, Civil Aviation, Information & Broadcasting, Labour & Employment, and Shipping.
A Video Conference with the Chief Secretaries of the States and UTs was also taken by the Cabinet Secretary.
Following today’s meeting of the Cabinet Secretary, a number of new steps have been taken:
- All those who have come from China after 15th January, 2020 shall be tested as there in an incubation period for the virus.
- The Cabinet Secretary has stressed upon the need for 14 days’ home isolation for all those who have returned from China.
- It is also advised that trip to china should be avoided.
- It was also decided to augment the lab facilities.
o Six more labs will start functioning from today:(1) NIV Bengaluru Unit, (2) Victoria Hospital Campus, KR Road, Fort, Bengaluru (3), AIIMS, New Delhi (4), NCDC, Delhi (5) Kasturba Hospital for infectious diseases, Mumbai (8) NIV – Kerala Unit.
o Six more labs will start function by 31st January, 2020: (1) ICMR – NICED, Kolkata (2) GMC, Secunderabad (3) KGMU, Lucknow (4) SMS, Jaipur (5) IGGMC, Nagpur (6) KIPMR, Chennai.
- Discharge portal for patients have been prepared by DGHS which is being disseminated.
- It was decided to put up check-posts in relevant tourist locations for better surveillance.
- Gram panchayats are being organised to make people more aware regarding the symptoms, precautions and measures taken by the State Governments regarding prevention and management for Novel Coronavirus in villages bordering Nepal.
- States have also been advised to open control rooms, appoint a nodal officer and popularize the control room number.
- IEC material is to be prepared in local language by the concerned States.