Quarantine not working in the ship with trapped CPOVID 19
Is India ready with its Quarantine policy, asks Dr. K K Aggarwal
China has imposed unprecedented quarantines across Hubei, locking over 56 million people, in a bid to stop COVID 19 spreading.
In the Quarantined ship in Japan the total number of infections has peaked to 218. With nearly 6% of the 3,711 passengers and crew members now infected, the 952-foot cruise ship also has the highest infection rate of the coronavirus anywhere in the world.
Villages in Vietnam with 10,000 people close to the nation's capital are also placed under quarantine on 13th Feb after six cases of the deadly new coronavirus were discovered there. The locking down of the commune of Son Loi, about 40 kilometres from Hanoi, is the first mass quarantine outside of China since the virus emerged from a central Chinese city late last year.
1. The people on quarantine are kept under a 14-day quarantine. If they are placed together and if anyone is diagnosed during that period, the quarantine will add another 14 days.
2. The longer you have several thousand people cohoused you will continue to propagate waves of infection.
3. A better way to quarantine is to break up these people into smaller groups and quarantine them separately.
4. Why quarantine children < 15 years when the virus is not risky for them.
5. Why not separate elderly people with comorbid conditions at high risk of deaths and quarantine them separately in one to one or small groups.
6. Why allow people to celebrate and have cultural programs during quarantine. As was seen in India people dances together with surgical masks during quarantine period,
7. Ventilation system connects one room to the next. There has been previous concern that the coronavirus can spread through pipes
8. Stress and anxiety are known to suppress the immune system, making people more susceptible to contracting the virus.
9. Law and order can be a problem in a country like India if Military is not in the picture
10. Has India called an inter political party meet on this subject.
11. Why cant quarantine them the way it was done in TB sanitoriums with both sun-balconies and a rooftop terrace where the patients would lie all day either in beds or on specially designed chairs. Remember sunlight can kill covid 19.
12. Is the public ready with the situation if it so happens.
Dr K K Aggarwal is President CMAAO, HCFI and Past national President IMA.